Friday, August 8, 2014

French Worlds and Friendly Strangers


As I mentioned via my last post, I spent a bit of time in Montreal for the long weekend. My friends all had tickets to Osheaga and I don't really like concerts and opted out to instead explore. It didn't take me long to realize that I had made the best idea for myself. The subway station I ended up at on my first day lead out to a pink decorated street in the Gay District. I spent most of that day trying to find thrift stores with no luck and trying to find a map to find more touristy places to visit. Giving up I just wandered down St. Catherine's street and came across old churches and extremely garnished parks. My morals never waned and my friend being tired at Osheaga came to explore with me, spending three hours to find each other and three hours in the mall together. My paycheck hurt a little.







The graffiti all over Montreal is unbelievably inspiring. Looks like every building hired professional artists to just have fun and express themselves.


The next day is when my love for this city blossomed. I got off at the Art District on the subway station, leaving my friends behind for different adventures. I walked right into a Native-American festival with singers and dancers and kids playing everywhere. Ironically I was still on St. Catherine's street from earlier. I walked and found a corner just full of museums, unfortunately the one I wanted to venture into was closed, and breaking in didn't seem like the best idea at the time. Instead I spent a lot of time in the book store playing with Game of Thrones pop up books and trying to find Scott Pilgrim comics. When I finally left I came back an hour later to get more comics since I finished the one I bought. Accidentally bought one in French and had to go back a third time. Surprised they didn't welcome me in by name yet. My two friends met up with me later and we bonded over cute waiters and girly drinks. The only thing I can complain about is the fact that by the time we all got tired from walking all day, which was usually around 11, the subway ride back was around 15 minutes, plus a cab ride each time to the hotel. In the end I guess that issued more bonding times.















The people are probably the reason why my trip was so overflowing with fantastic things. That's some of them above. Keep in mind that 1. there's two really cool people missing from this photo and 2. we all shared a hotel room. Sleeping on the floor messed with my overly large hips. The next day my friends Taylor and Jade ventured with me again to Mont-Parc and the Sunday summer Tam Tam. Some of my friends who live(d) in Montreal told me to explore there. I've never had a more heartwarming moment than seeing the most spiritually connected people all in the same place. The road to the mountain was so jam packed with thrift stores I'm surprised we made it to the mini festival. Jade had her fortune told by a strangers and some of the pictures I took of strangers doing their own thing (drawing in the sand, partner yoga) really pulled at my heart-strings. So many cool vendors where set up, a lot of people with etsy stores and homemade crafts. Girls selling their old clothes had to be the coolest part, so was the paper crane necklace I just had to buy. Ndustri interviewed us about fashion and how we felt about Montreal style. We climb around on lions and made friends with strangers. Later that night when the girls went back to Osheaga I sat at a park and was talked to by a really nice man trying to practice his English. I ended the night by walking into a tattoo shoppe and chickening out, then sitting down finishing my comic by the fire dancer.














No comments:

Post a Comment